I struggle to keep money aside to pay my personal tax bill. What do you advise?

If you struggle with the discipline of putting a third of your income away to pay the taxman when the time comes, you can make ‘unofficial’ payments as and when you want to.

Unlike with the payment of corporation tax, where HMRC will simply refund the amount if they are not sure where to post the payment, you can log on to your Government Gateway account and make as many ad hoc personal tax payments as you wish during the year. This will remove the funds from your bank account so they aren’t available for you to spend on something else and will simply sit as payments in your tax account.