HMRC announced that they will not charge late payment penalties for those who pay their Self Assessment tax due in full, or set up a payment plan, by 1 April 2022.
Once your 2020-21 tax return has been filed you will be able to contact HMRC to set up an online payment plan. HMRC are offering to spread up to £30,000 of your self-assessment bill, over and up to 12 monthly instalments.
Please note that interest will still be accruing from 1 February 2022 on any amounts outstanding, it is only the penalties that are being waived. The late payment interest rate from 4 January 2022 is 2.75%.
To set up a time to pay arrangement:
- You can make your own Time to Pay arrangement using your Government Gateway account, if you:
- have filed your latest tax return
- owe less than £30,000
- are within 60 days of the payment deadline
- plan to pay your debt off within the next 12 months or less
- If you cannot make your own Time to Pay arrangement online call the Self Assessment helpline: 0300 200 3822 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm excluding public holidays).
For help and advice on setting up Self Assessment Tax Payment Plans, please get in touch.
Want to get our news updates and insights for business owners straight to your inbox? Sign up to receive our emails.